I'm Toufeeq. I build patient-centric health care apps that try to change the world—or just make taking care of our health easier.
I created MyMedEffects, a social media tool to share and and self-report medication side effects, and BioEve Search, a novel search framework to enable interactive literature search.
Currently, I am finishing up two-year National Library of Medicine Research Fellowship at Dept. of BioMedical Informatics at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
I am a computer scientist with expertise in biomedical natural language processing, text mining, question answering systems, information retrieval, data integration, bio-medical ontologies (UMLS, MeSH, RxNorm) and adaptive user interfaces, and have more than twenty peer-reviewed publications in these research areas. I received Arizona State University’s Challenges Innovator Award 2010 for my PhD dissertation work with faceted search and bio-medical information extraction and had the privilege of giving an invited talk at TEDx Phoenix 2010.
Previously, I served as CTO of a NSF funded social recommendation startup (Theophilus Inc.) and have interned at Intel Corp and Insightful Corp (now Tibco).
Here are some traditional ways to contact me:
- Vanderbilt University
- 2012—NLM Post-doctoral Research Fellowship (Biomedical Informatics)
- Arizona State University
- 2010—Doctor of Philosophy (Computer Science)
- 2005—Master of Science (Computer Science)
- Osmania University
- 2002—Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science )
Awards and Honors
- 2010— Invited speaker at TEDx Phoenix 2010 conference, Nov 6th, 2010
- 2010— Arizona State University 2010 Challenges Innovator Award
- 2010— Inducted to Eta Kappa Nu (HKN), Electrical and Computer Engineering Honor Society
- 2010— NLM/NIH Post-doc Research Fellowship
- 2002— Academic Excellence award for year 2002 by M.Q Foundation
- 1999— First Prize in programming contest Naissance99 participated by 41 Engineering Schools
Peer-reviewed Journal, Conference, and Workshop Publications
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Hasan Davulcu, Sukru Tikves, Radhika Nair, Zhongming Zhao1, "BioEve Search: A Novel Framework to Facilitate Interactive Literature Search", in Advances in Bioinformatics (in press, accepted 28 March 2012)
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, and Kevin B. Johnson, “MyMedEffects: Improving Drug Safety by Enabling Self-Reporting of Adverse Events and Side Effects using Social Microblogging”, in proceedings of AMIA Annual Symposium 2011 (poster).
- M. Mahoui, J. Jones, A. Meyerhoff, S. T. Ahmed, "Can User Tagging Help Health Information Seekers?", in proceedings of 14th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCII 2011).
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, K. Selçuk Candan, Sangwoo Han, and Yan Qi. Topic Development Pattern Analysis based Adaptation of Information Spaces. New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia, Volume 15 Issue 1, April 2009.
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Srinivas Vadrevu and Hasan Davulcu. “DataRover: An Automated System for Extracting Product Information From Online Catalogs”. In Advances in Web Intelligence and Data Mining, ISBN: 978-3-540-33879-6, Volume 23, pp. 1-10, 2006, Springer Berlin/Heidelberg Publishers.
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Radhika Nair, Chintan Patel, Sheela P. Kanwar, Jörg Hakenberg, and Hasan Davulcu, “Semantic Classification and Dependency Parsing enabled Automated Bio-Molecular Event Extraction from Text”, in proceedings of ACM International Conference On Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (ACM-BCB 2010), Niagara Falls, New York, USA.
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Sheela P. Kanwar, Jörg Hakenberg, and Hasan Davulcu, “BioEve: A Discovery Engine For Life Sciences Literature”, in proceedings of 6th International Symposium on Bioinformatics Research and Applications (ISBRA’10), Storrs, Connecticut, USA.
- Hasan Davulcu, Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, et al, “Analyzing Sentiment Markers Describing Radical and Counter-Radical Elements in Online News”, in Proceedings of SocialCom 2010, (Symposium on Social Intelligence and Networking, SIN-10).
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Sukru Tikves and Hasan Davulcu, “Clustering and Mapping Related News about Violence Events on their Timelines”, in proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI 2010), Vancouver, B.C., Canada, (Poster).
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed et al, Bridging the Digital Accessibility Gap in NSDL with MAISON Services, NSF NSDL Annual Meeting, 2009. (Poster and 30 mins presentation) http://nsdlnetwork.org/content/am-poster/783/bridging-digital-accessibility-gap-through-maison-services
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Radhika Nair, Chintan Patel and Hasan Davulcu, “BioEve: Bio-Molecular Event Extraction from Text Using Semantic Classification and Dependency Parsing”, In Proc. of the Workshop on BioNLP 2009, Boulder, Colorado, Association for Computational Linguistics.
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Ruchi Bhindwale, and Hasan Davulcu, “Tracking Terrorism News Threads by Extracting Event Signatures”. In Proc. of the IEEE Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI’2009), Dallas, TX.
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed et al, “Enabling Accessible Interfaces to Digital Library Content”, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME 2009), New York City, NY.
- Sedat Gokalp, Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, S.Vijayarajan and Hasan Davulcu , “WikiSLD: Mapping Wikipedia infobox information onto the article text”, WikiAI 2009.
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Hasan Davulcu, and Chitta Baral, “Extracting Protein-Protein Interactions from MEDLINE Using Syntactic Roles“, Proceedings of 2008 IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine, Nov. 3?5, 2008.
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Mike Balzer, Mijung Kim, Shruti Gaur, Hardik Doshi, Vishal Shah, J.W. Kim, K. S. Candan, H. Sundaram, H. Davulcu, M.L. Sapino, and T. Hedgpeth, “MAISON: Middleware for Accessible Information Spaces on NSDL” NSDL Annual Meeting 2008, Washington, D.C. (Poster).
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Srinivas Vadrevu, and Hasan Davulcu, “DataRover: An Automated System for Extracting Product Information”, in proceedings of 4th Atlantic Web Intelligence Conference (AWIC 2006)
- Lian Yu, Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Graciela Gonzalez, Brandon Logsdon, Mutsumi Nakamura, Shawn Nikkila, Kalpesh Shah, Luis Tari, Ryan Wendt, Amanda Zeigler and Chitta Baral “Genomic information retrieval through selective extraction and tagging by the ASU-BioAI Group.” Proceedings of the 2005 TREC Genomics track.
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Deepthi Chidambaram, Hasan Davulcu, and Chitta Baral, “IntEx: A Syntactic Role Driven Protein-Protein Interaction Extractor for Bio-Medical Text”, Proceedings of the BioLink 2005, Association for Computational Linguistics, June 2005, 54-61.
- Dipti Aswath, Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, James D’cunha, and Hasan Davulcu, “Boosting Item Keyword Search with Spreading Activation” IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence 2005 (WI’05).
- Syed Toufeeq Ahmed, Deepthi Chidambaram, Hasan Davulcu, and Chitta Baral, “IntEx: A Syntactic Role Driven Protein-Protein Interaction Extractor for Bio-Medical Text”, (Poster) 4th European Conference on Computational Biology (ECCB’05), 2005.
I made significant contribution to Minerva project with Dr. Hasan Davulcu and Dr. Tom Taylor, check out event thread extraction interface.
I led team in designing and developing MAISON project (with Dr. K. Selçuk Candan) accessible user interface/search for individuals who are blind and visually impaired (http://maison.asu.edu). I have also developed Data Rover, an automated agent for extracting product information from shopping portals, and a new technique for boosting item keyword search. And have participated in projects for 3D Motif Mining from Protein Structures and Protein Classification.
For ASU’s School of Human Evolution, I researched and developed an application that enables complex querying over legacy datasets by merging and mapping OWL ontologies (http://cadi.asu.edu/). Previously, I also contributed to Dr. Chitta Baral‘s collaborative bio-curation project CbioC and AS3 (Adaptable Situation-Aware Secure Service-Based) systems with Dr. Stephen Yau.
Thanks for your interest. Go to top of this page